Friday, July 06, 2007

To Bartoli, Tennis, the players and the fans!

Tennis.
Memories of crying for Becker and Steffi.
Sometimes for Sabatini, Michael Stitch maybe.
Screaming my lungs out for my favorites. Those were the days....
When was the last time I cried for a tennis player?
Laid my hopes on a stranger and swore by him/her?
Oh yeah, It was in Wimbledon 2001. Goran Ivanesevic and Patrick Rafter.
I cried for Rafter. Hell, I did. He lost.

Then the monopoly(read Sampras) began and tennis was just another game. There was no credible competetion. I used to watch the matches but not with that ardour. There was the ever failing Henman (my sympathies). Women's tennis was never the same without Steffi. So years just passed by with praying the dictators never won. Sampras left, Federer entered. Williams gnawed. Who cared.Not me.
Not me. I longed for a passionate player I could cheer for. There were the Hewitts and the Roddicks. I liked them ...but they often let me down. Sharapovas and Henins didn't strike a chord.

But this Wimbledon was a treat. Cheering a certain Bartoli did me elated and proud..This French woman beat the World No 1 Justin Henin with killer shots and volleying i have yearned for! Double handed and accurate returns.An unconventional but unmistakable brilliant panache.

And the ingenuity and humility that comes often with a champion, she innocently remarked something like that she may have won the match because her favourite Pierce Brosman was watching her.Aww...
Tommorow's the final. Hope she beats the hell out of Venus too...:)

Cheers to Marion Bartoli.
Of course, as tennis fans would agree it's like you're playing there, with a different body.

Another lifetime, maybe I'll be a tennis player.
To play a game so passionate; and of undisputable display of strength of character and emotions!

2 Comments:

Blogger Nam said...

so, finally your under dog won... kudos to you and your faith in her.. "everyone supports the champions..thats so boring" hope this time you didnt cry with joy :P..and whats with all the punctuation man..it was like readin wren and martin..

2:59 AM  
Blogger Nam said...

write man..what r u doing?

5:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home