Monday, September 17, 2007

Word Khoj

I don't know why this came across my mind. The word that I most identify with. I think it was Tom Petty's song 'Learning to fly'. mebbe. I popped up this question to Buddha. He said 'love'. I wondered if he put his agile mind into it or it was just an on-the-spur answer. I even asked my mom the same question. I don't know if I put it across properly in Kannada but she said 'Strength'. I was suprised. She said she wanted to be more strong. Simple statement. But I haven't met a stronger woman than her.

Dad said 'misunderstood'. That pleasantly suprised me.

My dad said something he thought he was, my mom said something she wanted to be and Buddha said something as abstract as 'love', probably the most important emotion in his life.

It takes me back to Singapore when I was reading Shantaram and there was this question about the most important thing in this world. Some answers were power, love. I had then questioned the three seated with me at the dinner table at the food court behind Jade theatre.

Doritos - ' Power/ Family' (Forgive me, I can't recollect properly)

Susa - 'Satisfaction'

Nish - 'Connection'

The author of Shantaram and me, of course shared the same thoughts. We both thought it was freedom. Shantaram was a convict and his love for freedom could be understood. But for me, I was free, wasn't I?

Free to explore, free to implore, free to feel , free to choose, free to love, free to learn, free to dance, free to cry, free to change...uff. this was then.

But today i thought the word for me was fly.

I want to fly.

I want to fly, so high, so light.

I don't want to fly alone,

but I want to fly.

I want to cut through the resistance of air,

I want to fly with some flair.

I want to stop and stare

But I want to fly again and bare.

Bare my soul and my thoughts,

Forget the have and have nots.

I want to fly.
I want to fly, so high, so light.

So 'Fly' it is, i think. Feel and Free follow.:)

But come on guys, please fill me in on what it is for you.

3 Comments:

Blogger buddharoolz said...

I too am in the middle of Shantaram and i can understand your state of mind. However, can you re-state the question? <sorry! :( >. Do you want a word that we would identify with you or one word that "we" would identify with? I was a bit zonked then and hence the "abstract" thought.
And for those who say "freedom", we will never truly be free as long we have wants and needs and desires and friends and family. To quote from Chuck Palahniuk in Fight Club, "...It is only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything". I am not sure how many of us can do that, so I am not sure about freedom.
I could give you a few other "words", hope is one (I have lived on it for the longest time), but then Karla would have something wise to say about that too..
"Mind" as in the noun, is another. I think that is what defines us, makes us..

9:32 AM  
Blogger Nam said...

mine would be "disconnection"...from people..from questions..from answers...i can explain more than this but you would understand..

5:13 AM  
Blogger Ruchi said...

Excellent post!!!
Word for me is 'Love'.

10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home